Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Top 10 Rappers: #9

#9: Eminem



Here's another rapper that I NEED to acknowledge before we get into the heart of this list.  Everyone bags on him, I certainly don't think he's the best rapper, but Em has f**king skills!! How can anyone deny that?! I understand if you just don't like his music or don't like his recent material (I'm right there with you), but you have to admit the man is a lyrical genius.  I mean jesus hasn't everyone heard the Despicable Rap? And c'mon, The Slim Shady LP and The Marshall Mathers LP  are two of the greatest hip-hop records of all time.  Em's strength lies in his ability to infuse his life and pain into his work.  No I'm not talking about "The Real Slim Shady."  I'm talking about songs like "Stan" and "The Way I Am."  Sadly he hasn't really been going for the visceral lately.  Recovery is a step towards it, but it's too goddamn trendy, with f••king Rihanna and P!nk.  God! Sh•t drives me crazy. Whatever. #9

Also "'97 Bonnie and Clyde" is one of the gnarliest songs out there.  It's pretty much the song that got him in trouble with everyone.  I think it's amazing, like a more morbid Bruno, pushing the boundaries of what can be released and mass-produced today.